Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm
32 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:Better ownership, better front office, better coaching, better roster and no more losers like Cohan-Twardzik-St. Jean-Mullin-Riley!

Stephen Curry and David Lee are both Chris Mullin players. :wink:

And Riley is still our head scout. I have no qualms over the drafting since his arrival. :dontknow:

I don't know if this was Mullins fault or not, but trading J-Rich after the we believe era was a huge mistake.
Specially since we got a rookie back that never turned into anything. Then following that up by not retaining B. Davis.... those two were the heart of sould of the we believe team. Hind sight is 20-20, but as I recall most people didn't like that when it happened.

Then again there was some reports that those were not Mully's decisions... so we can never know. Also, the trade for Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington proved to be a stroke of genius. So no way in the world would I call Mully a loser, but I still not convinced he was a great GM... might have been a good one, but not a great.

As far as Riley... how can you not give him partial credit for our recent success? He was a big part in the draft for Curry and Klay. He was a huge part in getting Lee. He was a part of getting Bogut (yet to see how that pans out). I think it was a team effort, but he was a big part of it. I think the ownership knows that and recognizes his talent at scouting talent and evaluating them, and that is why he is one of the few that is still part of the team.

The two strikes you mentioned were not actually Mullin's fault:

The rumor was that the J-Rich trade was Part 1 of a 2-Step deal to get Kevin Garnett. With Wally Szczerbiak on Boston's roster (plus no one of note besides Pierce), the buzz was that Golden State appeared poised as favorites to land Garnett and Boston had no chance. If you recall, Garnett even publically stated that he would veto a trade to the Celtics (most speculated, due to his feud with Szscerbiak). Supposedly, Mullin was to parlay two separate deals to the T-Wolves: the first being a package of Monta Ellis, Al Harrington, and the #8 prospect for Garnett. The second was the J-Rich trade exception for a bad contract or fillers. Word is, Minnesota coveted Al Thornton and the deal began to fall apart when the Warriors selected Brandan Wright due to a lack of communication with Wolves management. And when Boston made the deal for Ray Allen (sending Wally to Seattle), Garnett became more willing to make a Celtics trade happen. But if you believe the whispers, the only reason Mullin dealt Richardson was in an attempt to land Garnett 2 years removed from his MVP. As it turned out, Boston won a title the following year and Golden State rotted.

Secondly, Mullin had a 5-year extension worked out with Baron Davis that then-President, Robert Rowell, vetoed (in retrospect, a good decision... But as you mentioned, not a very popular one at the time). Rowell's dealings with Stephen Jackson in spite of Mullin, his undermining Chris' BD extension, and the various political shots being launched backstage are said to be the fuel expediting Mullin's departure (also an unpopular decision, as Mully was the only competent GM figure the Warriors had in 20 years - effectively ending the playoff drought and making the team vibrant and relevant again.

+1 and great explanation.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 pm
Yeah, great write up 32. The thing about the past moves, was they were just really terrible, so the finger needs to be pointed. It was a toxic organization I am a raider fan, but it was ran like the raiders. Terrible draft picks, hello Foyle, the only time they had direction of were they wanted to go they broke the team up ( we believe). Having a drunk coach who did not have the correct roster to coach, Nellie doesnt like young players, and his last stint majority of his players were young, who saw no PT.

Ok, as far as the Jrich trade for Bwright and the TPE we NEVER used, terrible all around regardless of what it was predicated towards it never transpired, we put all our eggs in the same basket and lost. There was no excuse for the way it was handle, Jrich at that time meant too much to pretty much get nothing from that move. I don't know who to point the finger at but that was a major blunder.

When they let Baron walk, ok that's fine but in return we signed Corey Maggette to 5 year 5 million dollar deal. After failing to land Arenas for a five year deal at $100 million.

Players like Al Harrighton demanding trades.

Stephen Jackson getting that extension, regardless of who's fault it was, was a huge mistake.

2010-2011 signing Nellie to a two year, 12 million dollar deal.

The signing of D-League all-stars, we were generally a minor league. Where are they now, majority of the D-Leaguers got contracts but are now all buried in the bench with exception of CJ Watson, thats it.

In General the front office in the past were in the bottom of the league, **** them. Glad for new ownership and change of culture, one with vision, and actually attempt in creating a decent competitive basketball team.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Yeah, great write up 32. The thing about the past moves, was they were just really terrible, so the finger needs to be pointed. It was a toxic organization I am a raider fan, but it was ran like the raiders. Terrible draft picks, hello Foyle, the only time they had direction of were they wanted to go they broke the team up ( we believe). Having a drunk coach who did not have the correct roster to coach, Nellie doesnt like young players, and his last stint majority of his players were young, who saw no PT.

Ok, as far as the Jrich trade for Bwright and the TPE we NEVER used, terrible all around regardless of what it was predicated towards it never transpired, we put all our eggs in the same basket and lost. There was no excuse for the way it was handle, Jrich at that time meant too much to pretty much get nothing from that move. I don't know who to point the finger at but that was a major blunder.

When they let Baron walk, ok that's fine but in return we signed Corey Maggette to 5 year 5 million dollar deal. After failing to land Arenas for a five year deal at $100 million.

Players like Al Harrighton demanding trades.

Stephen Jackson getting that extension, regardless of who's fault it was, was a huge mistake.

2010-2011 signing Nellie to a two year, 12 million dollar deal.

The signing of D-League all-stars, we were generally a minor league. Where are they now, majority of the D-Leaguers got contracts but are now all buried in the bench with exception of CJ Watson, thats it.

In General the front office in the past were in the bottom of the league, **** them. Glad for new ownership and change of culture, one with vision, and actually attempt in creating a decent competitive basketball team.

They were ran just as bad in recent years, I agree, but I also think it is different because the Raiders actually cared about winning, they just sucked at doing it. At least they cared is my point.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 am
It's just the difference between a team thats willing to pay luxury to win... And a team that's not.

Had the KG trade happened, the Warriors would have shed Harrington and Richardson's contracts, plus one extension for Ellis. But when it fell apart, they stood pat and let the trade exception expire because Cohan and Rowell directly ordered Mullin not to push salary. Not to turn this into the rumor thread, but according to Kawakami, Mully had a deal with Memphis worked out to pick up Mike Miller (in his 16.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 40% for 3 phase) to be the Warriors super sub off the bench... FOR THE TRADE EXCEPTION AND NOTHING ELSE.

This would have added Miller to the core of Davis, Jackson, Ellis, Harrington, Biedrins, and Barnes; effectively, replacing Richardson's production, while keeping the prospect they received for him. But the bean counters said no and instead of Miller, the Warriors tried to salvage their year by signing Chris Webber on his last leg.

That's the story of the 2000's. Mullin's effectiveness was essentially handicapped by the owner's willingness (or lack there of) to shell out money. Final rumor: Robert Rowell also vetoed Mullin's deal for Lee, but Lacob intervened because he was a Lee fan. Imagine if Lacob were the owner for We Believe, how much different the past 5 years would be...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball