Jackson needs to fix the defense.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 pm
Warriors keep playing like this and they will find themselves out of the playoffs. The defense has been putrid lately. :banghead:
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 pm
No matter how bad the defense plays, 48 percent on threes is not sustainable. I doubt we keep giving them up at that rate. But there should be some adjustments, you are right. Most of the threes came off of drive in, kick outs to the weak side.

lol, We could lose another five in a row and still have the eight spot. Not worried at all.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm
Frankly, I think it's the offense that needs help. Like BF said, 48% on opponent 3's can't possibly last. But I find the latest installment of offense to be a tad... Monta-Ellis-like?

I mean, remember the beginning of the year? Landry was putting up 18 off the bench, Lee was the main option... And everything was great. It seems recently like the team is purposely trying to up Curry's scoring average. Since coming back from injury, Curry (when he plays more than 30 minutes) is shooting 21.6 attempts per night at 44.7%. His season average is 16.9 per game at 43.1%. With those sort of inefficient digits, I'd like to see a return to the post matchups.

With Bogut back and Barnes seeming confident with his back-to-the-basket, it makes me cringe to see so many iso plays where Klay or Steph ends up shooting outside J's after over-dribbling for 10 seconds. C'mon, Coach. Feed it back inside and the rain will follow.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 am
They're not even iso plays as far as I can tell. It's a matter of him rushing the offense and not moving the ball and taking shots that are too early in the shot clock. With Klay, he's taking the same shots he's been taking the whole entire year. We've forgotten that because before the road trip, there was a week or two stretch where he makes them.

I think the team is adjusting to the minutes now that Bogut has come back. Guys have to get used to playing with Bazemore, RJ is seeing more minutes, Ezeli is replaced with Biedrins, Landry is getting less minutes, and Jack was out a couple of games. Not making excuses because we do need to step up our game on both sides of the floor, but there has been some changes that doesn't seem to work in our favor.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:09 am
It just seems like this team is running out of gas. They aren't hustling like they did at the beginning of the season. They just seem sluggish. I think the All-Star break will get this team some rest and back on track.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:It just seems like this team is running out of gas. They aren't hustling like they did at the beginning of the season. They just seem sluggish. I think the All-Star break will get this team some rest and back on track.

I attribute a lot of that to the 4 games in 5 nights road trip. Given a regular schedule with normal travel, they'll be fine on energy.

But the past 5 games, Curry (21.7) is taking 9 more shots a night than David Lee (13). And Lee, for the record, shoots 8% better than Curry (52%, compared to 44% on the season). Normally, they've gotten relatively similar shot attempts this year (16.9 for Curry, 15.3 for Lee). The emphasis on outside shooting for guards (which has always been less efficient than inside-post-scoring) has to be curbed. Lee is our most efficient scorer, not Curry. It's time we went back to the bread and butter of this team and let our shooters benefit from our slick post scorers, not simply chuck up bombs with the little guys and revert players like Bogut and Landry to garbage man rebounders.

What is the point of having the best passing front court in the NBA if you don't use it?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm
32 wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:It just seems like this team is running out of gas. They aren't hustling like they did at the beginning of the season. They just seem sluggish. I think the All-Star break will get this team some rest and back on track.

I attribute a lot of that to the 4 games in 5 nights road trip. Given a regular schedule with normal travel, they'll be fine on energy.

But the past 5 games, Curry (21.7) is taking 9 more shots a night than David Lee (13). And Lee, for the record, shoots 8% better than Curry (52%, compared to 44% on the season). Normally, they've gotten relatively similar shot attempts this year (16.9 for Curry, 15.3 for Lee). The emphasis on outside shooting for guards (which has always been less efficient than inside-post-scoring) has to be curbed. Lee is our most efficient scorer, not Curry. It's time we went back to the bread and butter of this team and let our shooters benefit from our slick post scorers, not simply chuck up bombs with the little guys and revert players like Bogut and Landry to garbage man rebounders.

What is the point of having the best passing front court in the NBA if you don't use it?

Couldn't agree more.

In the same way the run sets up the pass in football, Warriors need to pound it inside to give the shooters more room on the outside.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm
This game's defense looked like a lack of effort. Bring on the all star break.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am
Bogut's return has been a detriment thus far and the flow of the team's offense has been affected greatly. You can almost feel the frustration through the screen and Curry appears to be playing with the most frustration. And the defense has been putrid the past two weeks and seems to be regressing to one of the worst in the league.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:37 am
This is definitely not Bogut's fault. No need to scapegoat him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 am
Blackfoot wrote:This is definitely not Bogut's fault. No need to scapegoat him.

Not blaming Bogut individually, just the team playe over half season without him and the flow and chemistry of the offense has been greatly affected. Add that to severe defensive issues and that spells trouble...Don't look.now, but the dubs are only 4.5 games out of misssing playoffs all together and the team cannot afford to wait until they finish the season with 16 of 20 at home to get
Going.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 am
4.5 is quite a bit. I am not worried, especially since after February the schedule gets easy as ****.

We beat the Jazz out of the all star break by like 8-9 I think. We are a match up nightmare for the Jazz since Mo is out.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am
The warriors are playing like at the start of the season - slow, bad shooting and foul happy defense. With Bogut - coincidence?
There are several factors and very troubling decisions for Mark Jackson and coaching staff - what do you do when your perimeter players are bad/average defenders? With mostly small ball lineups and/or quick mobile centers in Ezeli and Biedrins, they managed to hide this by playing zone and a lot of help defense. I have nothing against it, since what they might have lost on defensive end they could regain on offense.
Now, with Bogut, the space on offense has tightened up - there's too little space for Lee to operate, Bogut does not draw double teams so inside/outside game is somewhat far fetched of a wish to be fruititious. He simply is not a threat you want your center to be if you are going to slow the game down. In a zone defense he is not fast enough to cover the required space for zone to be effective, if he extends he can't recover back as fast as Ezeli or Biedrins or whomever you play at the four if Lee slips into center.
To sum - he eats too much space on offense and gives too much away in zone defense. You can win against lesser talented teams by sheer overall talent advantage, but against good/better teams you have to dig deeper to see what and how it works.
Simply put - our center position is highest paid on all squad and is least impressive together with a 2 spot.

Which brings me to second problem - both Barnes and Thompson are mostly effective when playing SF position - while Barnes is somewhat better defender, Thompson can be hidden most of the time against slower players. But the problem is that they both play at the same time and if Barnes is not playing you have Curry at the two, in other words - your 2 is mainly overmatched most of the time on defensive end. If not for Curry's magic ability to shoot, Warriors would be in deep trouble running their offense as it is run now (I remember, in absence of Curry, Lee was initiating a lot from high post and kept it moving).
So what do you do to maximize Barnes and Thompson? Do you trade one, or move one of them to the bench? But if you move one of them to the bench, you still haven't solved your defensive 2 problem.

If things stand as they are now, we will not be defensive stoppers we would like to be - the personel is not there. We will be run-by by teams that can play small/fast - drive and kick, shoot threes. All of 4 western conference top seeds can and do that. I don't think Bogut is a force enough to ballance it by pounding the paint. And while we match better with post-up teams (however few of them are left in modern game - of most proximity to us: mempis/jazz) we are still not significantly better than them.

We are neither good uptempo, nor good slow ball team with Bogut. We are not bad. We are mediocre.

A fringe playoff team.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm
Interesting what is going on with the warriors, its perplexing, and I am not buying any type of excuses they should do better. Earlier in the season we were competitive against any team in NBA, although there were certain patterns earlier on as detailed in another thread. We lost to teams capable of hitting threes and a big front line, look at double losses to the Nuggets, the Kings, the Magic, Fakers.

So what is really going on lately ? we are getting exposed, the zone is not working at all. What is the point of the zone, when your giving up points in the paint, and also leaving shooters two and three feet open to launch. In order for a zone to be effective defenders need to be active, they need to have length, its not the case with the warriors. They get lost looking at other players, the other team just moves the ball and majority of the time find the open man, scratch the zone Jackson, its not working.

And Bogut, guess my expectations were to high perhaps, a legitimate center, but he has not moved the way I would like him to, his foot speed is ridiculously slow. Regardless if other players man get beat his reaction time is not up to speed.

I remember in the beginning of the year the team had a sort of aggression that was impressive, example the games against Clippers we looked hungry, Blake and DeAndre couldn't do much against Ezeli, but now I don't see that same assertiveness.

Warriors need to get that focus back. I was worried about the lack of slashers and athleticism on this team, its showing especially with Bogut in the line-up.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 am
meh I think this is more fatigue, focus, assimilating Bogut into the lineup than personnel. Also prioritizing the offensive weapons better - Lee n Bogut should be getting more touches close to the rim instead of just relying on jumpers. I think we are a similar team to the successful old Kings team with Bibby Webber Pej Divac. Ball movement should be this team's bread n butter, and rebounding. No reason why Bogut and Lee shouldn't be crashing the boards and punishing smaller teams. Also remember that Bogut can't even play back to backs yet so he's still working himself back into condition. As long as we make playoffs, I'm good.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball