*Hey guys! Finally signed up (NEW MEMBERS INTRO HERE)*

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:04 pm
Guybrush.. A quick lesson for your buddy pawno.

Was Croatia a state of Yugoslavia???

I could probably google this info... BUT It's always better when I hear it first hand so someone can rant about how they liked the good old days/How it's better off now being Croatia? yada yada ya.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm
AndreasRiis wrote:Oh, i didn't know that, thought all of you were from the States and since Denmark is one of the smallest countries in Europe I didn't expect that. Nice to hear. It is now I should tell you that my best friend is from Croatia? ::razz:

It's a good time as any. I'm not one of those people that don't like Croatians...there are too many of them as it is on both sides.

PAWNO wrote:Guybrush.. A quick lesson for your buddy pawno.

Was Croatia a state of Yugoslavia???

I could probably google this info... BUT It's always better when I hear it first hand so someone can rant about how they liked the good old days/How it's better off now being Croatia? yada yada ya.

Yeah, it was. Croatia was the second biggest state there, after my country (Serbia). If you have watched that Once Brothers, ESPN's movie, as I told you to, about Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic, you might have learned more about these parts as well. ::lol:

Anyway, we had a civil war here in the early nineties. So, basically, Serbia and Croatia were at war, and Bosnia and Herzegovina now is an independent state cause they couldn't agree on the borders. There are many Serbs who live there, and some parts have Croatians, but mostly it's Muslims, who pretty much were also at war fighting both Serbs and Croatians over Bosnia. It's not so easy to explain in few sentences. lol

So, now you have Slovenia, they pretty much started all by killing then Yugoslavian soldiers who were just doing their job, and being soldiers, but they represented something they didn't like at the time, and got killed, and you got a war. And they got out of it quickly. Then you have Macedonia (FYROM I have to say, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, cause TRON might get mad if I say just Macedonia, but he can explain you about that, that's completely different story, and it would be too much of history lesson for one post), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia. After that war Serbia remained under the name of Yugoslavia for around 10 more years, cause they were with Montenegro, and those two are divided as well now, and we finally have a bunch of small countries, which are all of little importance to the world, and are not that known, obviously. And you had Yugoslavia, which was a force in Europe.

You can never get better by separating things, just because you want to have something yours, branding and labeling are bad things IMO. All the bad things happen when people want to make some group, where they fill stronger, and feel they can do something...it usually ends up bed. The saddest thing here is that most of those people, mainly from Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia, are actually from the same origin. And we have some hate now going on between us. The only thing that changed us is religion...Croatians are mostly Catholics, in Bosnia you have Muslims that got Islam during the time we were under Turks, still Slavs though, and in Serbia you have Orthodox Christians (Byzantine heritage, Russia and Greece are also Orthodox, for instance). There you go, I tried to keep it short, and objective. :)

If Hobbes thinks this is not appropriate thing to write here, I'll delete it and send you in PM. :)
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 pm
Thanks for explaining that Guybrush. Now I've learnt a bit of history and geography all on my favourite sporting forum. Welcome Andreas.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm
BtW I should introduce myself to RINGO.

Howdy partner. I see your from the Whitsundays.. You live out on one of the islands or do you just smash backpackers on the mainland at Airlie Beach? :mrgreen:

I'm from Brisbane, I'm guessing you'd be a rabid foaming at the mouth QLD Cowboys fan.. Me well don't stereotype me as a yobbo Broncos fan. i actually support the Canberra Raiders. (Rugby is my preferred footy code)

You support the Crocodiles mate? i remember being up there on a Brisbane Bullets roadtrip & the Crocodiles won on aclutch Brad Newley jumper & I got abused by some rabbid Crocodiles fans who poured the contents of his 5 dollar popcorn on us as we headed for the exits (only thing worse then a sore loser is a gloating winner)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm
Oh thanks for the feedback Guybrush.

This is the introduction thread so your backstory is definately appreciative.. If you dont feel comfortable then just move your big a55 post to the off topic thread. . . I know some people dont appreciate the religion and politics talk. So maybe we we can utilize the *spoiler warning* that this post contains sensative information.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm
PAWNO wrote:
AndreasRiis wrote:Oh, i didn't know that, thought all of you were from the States and since Denmark is one of the smallest countries in Europe I didn't expect that. Nice to hear. It is now I should tell you that my best friend is from Croatia? ::razz:

Denmark..

What's it famous for?

Is that where Amsterdam/Rotterdam is located ???

Also isn't the princess of Denmark an Aussie Chick?

I would do naughty things with her sideways... She looks like Catherine Zeta Jones (without the olive skin)

Rotterdam and Amsterdam is located in the Netherlands. You might know Copenhagen, Denmark's capital? And what's Denmark famous for... well, I guess nothing. We are the country who pays the highest taxes, that's about it (if that's a good thing ::razz:)

And yes, that's her. Preeeety cute.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:56 am
Ringo wrote:Thanks for explaining that Guybrush. Now I've learnt a bit of history and geography all on my favourite sporting forum. Welcome Andreas.

Anytime. Though, you have incredible amount of both Serbs and Croats there in Australia...you probably knew something even before my post.

And that's really as simple as I could have put it.

Oh, I still go to Croatia during the summer. :mrgreen:

PAWNO wrote:Oh thanks for the feedback Guybrush.

This is the introduction thread so your backstory is definately appreciative.. If you dont feel comfortable then just move your big a55 post to the off topic thread. . . I know some people dont appreciate the religion and politics talk. So maybe we we can utilize the *spoiler warning* that this post contains sensative information.

My pleasure...if you took anything out of it, good. If you are interested in something detailed, just say what it is, and I'll be glad to respond. Basically, I believe all of us would live now a far better life if we stayed together. Now, all countries struggle. Slovenians were good, but I'm hearing that they are also in debt now. Croatia was in debt for quite a while now. They have tourism because of the sea and beaches. Serbia is not any better, maybe even worse, cause we have problems on Kosovo with Albanian Muslims there, and most of the world is supporting them to separate Kosovo from Serbia. And that part is a big part of Serbia, that's where most of Serbian knights died when they defended against the Turks in middle ages. And we were occupied for 500 years afterwards, but then again won our freedom.
Serbia, and Belgrade, in particular, are known for tourism, though not summer kind, lol...but good food, amazing night life, etc. There is one of the biggest music festivals in Europe here, in Novi Sad, called Exit.
Anyway, all countries have something, but together, they would be good in a lot more things. There wouldn't be a need for so much importing from other countries...but, oh well.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:57 am
I'll leave it here, for now at least...might turn into some nice conversation, if someone else shares something about their countries as well. If that happens, I'll make a new topic in Off Topic part, and we can move there.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 am
PAWNO wrote:BtW I should introduce myself to RINGO.

Howdy partner. I see your from the Whitsundays.. You live out on one of the islands or do you just smash backpackers on the mainland at Airlie Beach? :mrgreen:

I'm from Brisbane, I'm guessing you'd be a rabid foaming at the mouth QLD Cowboys fan.. Me well don't stereotype me as a yobbo Broncos fan. i actually support the Canberra Raiders. (Rugby is my preferred footy code)

You support the Crocodiles mate? i remember being up there on a Brisbane Bullets roadtrip & the Crocodiles won on aclutch Brad Newley jumper & I got abused by some rabbid Crocodiles fans who poured the contents of his 5 dollar popcorn on us as we headed for the exits (only thing worse then a sore loser is a gloating winner)

Hey Pawno. I'm on the mainland but I'm married so I leave the backpackers to the single guys. I'm from SEQ so I grew up supporting the Bullets and Broncos but you're correct - I'm now a massive Cowboys supporter and I do follow the Crocs mainly because there are no Bullets. I went to the Crocs 20th anniversary game last year where they had the Crocs Legends vs the NBL Legends before the main game. It was good to see guys like Gaze, Bradtke, Mackinnon and Anstey turning back the clock. I do take more interest in the NBA than the NBL. I just wish they'd show the NBA on free-to-air tv again. I'm expecting big things of the Warriors this season.
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm
New here...been a member of another site for another well known site for a number of yrs but this one seems really fun. Long time W's fan 30 yrs (hitting the big 4-0 on the 13th), so I'm probably an old timer here. I had the displeasure of watching Joe Barely Cares at C for us so I'm a BIG fan of seeing Bogut in a W's uni.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm
Smitty wrote:New here...been a member of another site for another well known site for a number of yrs but this one seems really fun. Long time W's fan 30 yrs (hitting the big 4-0 on the 13th), so I'm probably an old timer here. I had the displeasure of watching Joe Barely Cares at C for us so I'm a BIG fan of seeing Bogut in a W's uni.

:D Welcome, Smitty!

As a 30 year vet, allow me to be the first to +1 you in the credit column. For hanging around this long through this much BS, you certainly deserve it!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:02 pm
Smitty, welcome to the board! If it makes you feel any better I am turning 40 on the 14th. NOT looking forward to it.
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:30 pm
Thanks.....and to Hobbes, a happy birthday to you.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm
Welcome, mate. And, really, congratulations for enduring through all those years being a Warriors fan. No small accomplishment by any means.

It's always a good thing to have some more experienced fans here who can share their thoughts.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm
Welcome! It's great to have you on the boards!
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball