nba season awards

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 pm
Time to say who we all think will win the season awards -

MVP - Durant

ROY - Irving

6th Man - Harden

MIP - Lin

DPOY - Dwight

COY - Popovich
Last edited by migya on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 pm
MVP - Lebron
ROY - Irving
6th Man - Harden
MIP - Lin
DPOY - Dwight
COY - Poppavich
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm
MVP - Lebron
ROY - Irving
6th Man - Harden
MIP - Lin
DPOY - Ibaka
COY - Poppavich
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:MVP - Lebron
ROY - Irving
6th Man - Harden
MIP - Lin
DPOY - Ibaka
COY - Poppavich

Ooh nice pick

Didn't consider him really (because i forgot)... With all the turbulence surrounding Dwights WILL HE OR WONT HE. I could def see David Stern (King of Rig) giving the award to a very deserving candidate in Ibaka.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 am
COY and DOY have been announced, with Popovich winning COY and TChandler of the Knicks getting DOY.

I think Thibodeau should have gotten it, because he had injuries to main players Rose, Deng and Hamilton for quite some time and still got the best record in the nba. I like the Spurs more, but truth be told, Bulld did great with all their injuries.

TChandler getting DOY is a bit of a surprise, as I thought Dwight's dominance would continue in that.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm
migya wrote:COY and DOY have been announced, with Popovich winning COY and TChandler of the Knicks getting DOY.

I think Thibodeau should have gotten it, because he had injuries to main players Rose, Deng and Hamilton for quite some time and still got the best record in the nba. I like the Spurs more, but truth be told, Bulld did great with all their injuries.

TChandler getting DOY is a bit of a surprise, as I thought Dwight's dominance would continue in that.

I am also surprised that Chandler got it, considering the Knicks were only mediocore this year. I thought Ibaka would have gotten it with 3.65 blocks per game for an dominant OKC team.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm
Ryan Anderson of Orlando had won the Most Improved Player award. He is a good fit next Dwight.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:49 am
No surprises James Harden almost unanimously got 6th man of the Year.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 pm
Lebron won MVP... I think Durant was robbed, but Lebron was clearly runner up.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm
Yea, I think Durant should have gotten the MVP, but Lebron was not far behind to me. Three MVPs in four years, Lebron really is looking like the king of the nba. Magic, Bird and Moses also won three MVPs in their great career. Wilt won four and Russell and Jordan won five MVPs. Think Lebron might well pass everyone in number of MVPs, but championships is the thing that will make him known as the greatest ever now. If he doesn't at least win one more MVP AND at least seven championships, I don't think he could ever be considered clean cut, above every other nba player ever.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:16 am
All the awards are subjective and therefore justifiable.

... But, Ryan Anderson? Really?

Dudes percentages didn't improve AT ALL; his number increase was a pure, 100% byproduct of him starting now that Brandon Bass was gone. He went from an 11 and 6 guy in 23 minutes to a 16 and 7 guy in 33 minutes. Like I said, his %'s didn't change; only his shot attempts did.

That's pathetic. Ersan Ilyisova was robbed. Dude went from a 43% shooter to a 50% shooter, not to mention cruised to a 45% three-point clip after a year where he shot 28% from the arc! AND he became a 9 RPG player. He added over 2 rebounds and over 3 points in less than 2 minutes more per game! It took Anderson 10 additional minutes to gain 5 points and 1 rebound! Blatant thievery!

Also, that's 2 awards that Serge Ibaka was shafted on. Cause if you don't recognize Ilyisova's improvements, you MUST see Iblocka jump from 2.4 blocks to 3.7!!! That's FOUR BLOCKS A GAME on most nights!! (the DPoY, Chandler, averaged 1.7 BPG :banghead:).

Stern -

I realize you have to suck the Knick's balls on a consistent basis cause you're a NYer...

... And you wanna figure out a way to make Orlando look appealing enough to create some drama (ala "The Decision") about Howard before he bolts...

... But you're seriously insulting our intelligence here.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:23 am
Greg Monroe??

James Harden??

I mean, seriously... I'll take 940 minutes of Jeremy Lin over Ryan Anderson!

What a farce!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:10 am
For how long can one person be a commissioner? I'm sick of Stern for quite a while. He dragged the reputation of the NBA tremendously lately (I'm talking about Europe, people would rather watch Euroleague, and NBA games should be played closer to NFL game times, cause people here don't wanna stay awake late for 82 games a season). I stopped watching NBA for a few years recently, just because of poor refereeing and calls in favor of "star" players. And that deal where they sold Supersonics to Oklahoma's fat idiot was too much for me.

I'm still waiting for the day to see that bum leave that position, and go do something idiotic to himself instead. I returned to watching the NBA just because of my love for the game and the Warriors. Though, while Stern is in charge, I won't take any nominations and awards for serious.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:03 pm
Agreed. He had his time; I'm thankful the NBA Finals are no longer on tape delay, but it's beyond time for a regime change. Unfortunately, "regime change" appears to be Stern's right hand man - Adam Silver - which is not only disappointing in the sense that he probably won't change much about the league, but also the image of this guy. Is it just me or does Silver look like he couldn't take Bieber in a slap fight?

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 am
2011-12 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Forward LeBron James, Miami (118) 596

Forward Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City (117) 591

Center Dwight Howard, Orlando (75) 476

Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (104) 568

Guard Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers (74) 484

2011-12 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Forward Kevin Love, Minnesota (16) 365

Forward Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers 170

Center Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers (33) 400

Guard Tony Parker, San Antonio (41) 367

Guard Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City (5) 239

2011-12 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Forward Carmelo Anthony, New York (1) 154

Forward Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 136

Center Tyson Chandler, New York (4) 60

Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami (1) 235

Guard Rajon Rondo, Boston (4) 142

- No real surprises there and that 1st team looks among the best five players at any one time on a team at any one time in nba history.

2011-12 NBA All-Defensive First Team
Position Player (Team) 1st 2nd Points
Forward LeBron James (Heat) 24 5 53
Forward Serge Ibaka (Thunder) 20 7 47
Center Dwight Howard (Magic) 16 9 41
Guard Chris Paul (Clippers) 13 9 35
Guard Tony Allen (Grizzlies) 13 7 33

2011-12 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
Position Player (Team) 1st 2nd Points
Forward Kevin Garnett (Celtics) 8 10 26
Forward Luol Deng (Bulls) 6 8 20
Center Tyson Chandler (Knicks) 13 10 36
Guard Rajon Rondo (Celtics) 9 11 29
Guard Kobe Bryant (Lakers) 7 3 17

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 19 (4); Joakim Noah, Chicago, 14; Iman Shumpert, New York, 13 (4); Paul George, Indiana, 10 (2); Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City, 9 (2); Josh Smith, Atlanta, 8 (2); Dwyane Wade, Miami, 5 (1); Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City, 5 (1); Grant Hill, Phoenix, 5 (1); Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 5 (1); Avery Bradley, Boston, 3 (1); Marc Gasol, Memphis, 3 (1); Metta World Peace, L.A. Lakers, 3; Shawn Marion, Dallas, 3; Joe Johnson, Atlanta, 2, (1); Mike Conley, Memphis, 2; Derrick Rose, Chicago, 1; Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia, 1; Carlos Boozer, Chicago, 1; Luc Mbah a Moute, Milwaukee, 1.

*Defensive Player of the Year Tyson Chandler didn't even crack the first team. Confused? So were plenty of others - even a Harvard graduate.

Jeremy Lin, Chandler's teammate in New York, took to Twitter to ask for an explanation of how that was possible.

The answer is because the voting is done by different parties. A media panel voted for Defensive Player of the Year, while the all-defensive team vote was conducted by the league's 30 head coaches, who voted for a first and second team by position and were not allowed to pick their own players.

They favored Orlando's Dwight Howard, the NBA's leading rebounder and its top defensive player three straight years before Chandler, as their center.

- It is strange that Chandler, the DOY, was not selected to the 1st team, but I don't think he should have gotten DOY anyway. I agree with Dwight going ahead of him. TAllen really given credit for his defense, making the 1st team. I think JSmith should have gotten the spot over Deng. Interesting to note that Iguodala got more overall votes than Kobe, yet didn't make it so he must be listed as SF more than SG or he would have got it.

Return to NBA Forum