My idea to fix the NBA

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:09 pm
Ok, here is my idea to fix the NBA from the current situation of having loaded teams like Miami:

The NBA selects a contracted list of 30 ‘Star Players’ each season. Those SP’s get a bonus of $10 million per year funded by the NBA on top of their current contracts and separate from the salary cap. The catch is that only one SP per team gets the bonus. If there is more than one SP on a team, then the SP who has been at that team the longest gets the bonus. So for example – Dwayne Wade gets an extra $10m but Lebron misses out. If Howard wants an extra $10m, then he needs to stay at Orlando or go to someone else without a SP because the Nets already have Williams who would be their SP. Nowitski would get it but Chris Paul would miss out because of Griffin unless he moves to Charlotte or any other team without a SP. Rose would get it. Durant would get it but Westbrook would not.

I believe this might be enough to sway some of these greedy stars to be the sole star player of a team instead of stacking teams with 2 or 3 star players. And by each franchise hopefully having their own ‘Star Player’, the NBA would generate much more revenue from tickets, merchandise and advertising worldwide to easily fund the $300m per season to pay for the contracted list of stars. The contracted SP’s would be rewarded for being ambassadors to the NBA.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm
Probably the only real way to do it is to have a fixed salary limit per team and even that is not 100% to work as superstars can decide to play for much less salary for a big market team knowing that they can likely get more money all up anyway through endorsements. Something like a salary cap upper limit of 70 million would not allow teams to over spend and make it harder for superstars to agglomerate on teams together. That means teams can not go over 70 million for any reason, even to resign their own free agents.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm
There is a salary cap already in place which is needed to try and balance the talent. But that doesn't stop teams from doing what Miami did where they dump pretty much the whole roster and use the majority of their cap for 3 star players and then fill the gaps around them with players who are happy to be paid very little for the chance at winning a championship. Why would Howard sign a max contract with Houston when he can join Williams at the Nets and still get a max contract? The salary cap doesn't encourage Dwight Howard to come to the Warriors or Lebron or Chris Paul to go to the Bobcats. The only way to do that is to give them more money for the sacrifice of going to a smaller market or a less talented team. An extra $10m may not be enough but they've got to do something otherwise no-one will care to watch anymore.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am
I'll still watch. There are teams like OKC, SA, among others that are still competative and fun to root for.

At the same time I wouldn't mind a hard cap, but that idea got vetoed in last CBA because players wouldnt agree. So not much league can do right now. Let's see how the new
CBA pans out after it has been in place for 5 years. It really hasnt even taken affect.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:23 am
Fundementally, Ringo, that is a sound idea, but the problem would occur when trying to determine who is actually a star player and who is not. Because I believe some of them, if not the whole lot of them, would accept they fact that the wouldn't get those 10 millions they would get as SP, just to be able to play with another SP and win a title.

Though, in my mind, players who would do that just to have someone else lead the team, are in reality not a true star players. They can be great players, but they miss on the biggest part, the heart. And I know that's not really important anymore.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:48 pm
Guybrush wrote:Fundementally, Ringo, that is a sound idea, but the problem would occur when trying to determine who is actually a star player and who is not. Because I believe some of them, if not the whole lot of them, would accept they fact that the wouldn't get those 10 millions they would get as SP, just to be able to play with another SP and win a title.

Though, in my mind, players who would do that just to have someone else lead the team, are in reality not a true star players. They can be great players, but they miss on the biggest part, the heart. And I know that's not really important anymore.

agree with guy, the idea sounds great, but very subjective in determining the list.

Return to NBA Forum