money and team options

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am
Marcus T. wrote:While Warriors management had already decided it wasn’t going to pick up the fourth-year option on guard Marco Belinelli, the same decision awaits on Brandan Wright. They have until Oct. 31 (technically, I think, it is the day before the season starts) to lock him up for 2010-11 at better than $3M.

I have heard nothing about them not picking up his option. If I were a betting man, my money is on them picking up the option. The Warriors do like Wright and are banking on him to play at PF (though he is looking like Anthony Randolph’s back-up instead of the starter, which he was deemed by Nellie late last season).
But, it wouldn’t hurt to have another expiring contract, and maybe playing for a deal would light a fire under Wright and produce a breakout season. It’s worth considering, but in the end he probably has more value to the Ws on the court.
If the Warriors do pick-up his option, it is probably an indicator that they don’t expect to trade him. Wright was involved in the offer to Phoenix. Assuredly, part of Wright’s appeal to another team is that they would have the choice on whether to pick up the option (as the Warriors do with Acie Law). Of course, the Warriors still could trade him after exercising their option, but Wright would be less valuable.
BW went to summer school in Chapel Hill and wound up playing a lot of basketball. Word is that he is healthy and the Warriors are happy with the strides he’s made. He still fits the Ws style of play and is arguably their best inside scoring option. Plus, Randolph could use the competition.

So the Warriors did get some cash from Toronto, which did provide a financial incentive. Not much to dance in the streets about, but cash nonetheless. Every little bit helps these days, no doubt.

Also, Devean George is here to stay. The Warriors want George. They didn’t get him to buy him out. They feel like he might be able to contribute something because of his size and experience (went to three Finals with the Lakers). GM Larry Riley has wanted to add some veteran experience anyway. George, at his best, can stick the 3 and match-up against the difficult threes of the league like Ron Artest and LeBron James.
Of course, they are hoping to get the George from the Lakers. The George that was in Dallas was often hurt and hardly heard from. But if George has nothing left, not much is lost because he is cheap.

It can’t go understated, I don’t think, that the Warriors just traded out of a tough decision, perhaps a lose-lose. If they would have extended Belinelli on the 31st, that would’ve been a sizeable commitment for a guy who wasn’t going to play much. If they didn’t, they could’ve had a distraction on their hands all season. This would’ve been the story going into the season, that the Warriors have given up on Marco. Now, come Oct. 31, no one will be thinking on Belinelli.

The Warriors now have $9 million in expiring contracts (I mistakenly had close to $10M before, but that was because I had Acie Law down for $2.9 - what he’s set to make if the Warriors pick up the option - and not $2.2, which he will make this season). If they decide not to pick-up Brandan Wright’s fourth-year option, that number jumps to $11.7M in expiring contracts.

For some reason I didn't realize they had to use wright and Marco's team options BEFORE the start of the 09-10 season... I guess that makes me feel a little better about the move. also very happy to hear the warriors like the improvements in wrights game. if they let wright go for nothing to, my head might explode.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:20 pm
Also, Devean George is here to stay. The Warriors want George. They didn’t get him to buy him out. They feel like he might be able to contribute something because of his size and experience.

If Devon gets 1 minute at the PF spot in front of Wright I'll do my block.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:48 pm
MurinuR wrote:
Also, Devean George is here to stay. The Warriors want George. They didn’t get him to buy him out. They feel like he might be able to contribute something because of his size and experience.

If Devon gets 1 minute at the PF spot in front of Wright I'll do my block.

George will not play any at the PF spot. He is a backup SF that can play alittle defense, but shouldnt be looked upon to do much on the offensive side of the court.

Return to News Articles