Randolph working on extension with Grizz

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 am
Randolph working on extension with Grizz

Posted by Royce Young

Zach Randolph experienced a bit of a career rebirth last year. He had gathered a reputation of being a distraction, of having character issues and of sometimes not playing.

Last, year in Memphis, there was none of that. And it looks like it may be earning him a new deal.

"Me and my agent (Raymond Brothers) we're working on a deal with Memphis," Randolph tells IndySportsNation . "A lot of good things are going on in the league and it's going to be exciting this year. ... We're trying to work out an extension right now with Memphis, so stay there for a couple more years."

Randolph surely would like to get a new contract before lockout doom hits in 2011. Randolph has just one season left on his current contract at $17.33 million. Memphis officials have already publicly discussed interest in re-signing Randolph to a new long-term deal.

Last season, Randolph returned to his walking double-double form averaging 20.8 ppg and 11.7 rpg. It was one of his most productive seasons in the league and he was a major part in Memphis's surprising season.

It's highly unlikely Memphis would re-ink Randolph to anywhere near the $17 million he's due this year. That number would most definitely drop down, but in exchange, Randolph who's 29, would get a multi-year deal and some long-term assurance.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Reckon the Grizz would be smart to hold off on any extension with that guy, he might get back to being a little crazy and a distraction. He did do well last season, arguably their best player and a big that good is hard to get so I understand why their thinking of extending him. I wouldn't give him more than 13 million a yearand for no more than four years, he is 29 so not that young anymore, not old either.

If he is not extended and leaves Memphis after this season, we can always trade them Lee for MGasol and fillers :)

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles