Warriors Role Players want to play a bigger role

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:32 am
Not that I agree with the article, because most of the people they are qouting here are the ones that have played poorly, and probably haven't shown much in practice either.
I do agree that I don't like how the minutes are being spread between the players, but that probably has to do more with what is going on in practice, and the times that I do see some of the bench, they look aweful. Howerver things are looking better now, and hopefully we can settle into a consistent rotation when curry gets back. Reggie and Amundson are geting consistent minutes, and I can see Law and Vlad getting minutes more regulary. Vlad because it seems he is putting in the work at practice, and he has been playing better at the 3 spot, and Law, because we simply can't keep playing Monta and Curry so many minutes, as witnessed by Curry's reoccurring injury.

ANways, here is the article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/12/SPJK1GPEE0.DTL&feed=rss.warriors

(12-11) 19:43 PST -- Charlie Bell had his Warriors' teammates in stitches as he mimicked his reaction to being called on for the first time in eight days to sub into the Warriors' game against the Lakers on Nov. 21.

With a shocked expression, Bell looked to his right, where no other players were sitting. He confusedly pointed to himself to make sure the coach wasn't calling on "some other Charlie." Still perplexed, he tried to remember how to remove his sweats before jogging to the scorer's table.

Sitting in the Staples Center postgame locker room, Bell replayed the moment over and over as his teammates roared in an attempt to heal the pain of a 28-point loss.

But the laughter has begun to cease since then.

"You try to keep a sense of humor about it, because it doesn't do any good to get too upset," said Bell, a seventh-year guard. "You try to realize that this is a team game, and no matter how much (the reserves) want to go out there and play consistently, we have to find happiness in seeing our teammates being out there.

"That's a little tougher when we're losing, because we all think that we can help the team, if we're given a role."

More than a quarter of the way through the season, it's becoming increasingly difficult for the reserves to view Keith Smart's ever-changing substitution pattern as part of the learning curve for a first-year coach with an overhauled roster.

More and more, the bench is losing its patience, seeing Smart's wavering allotment of minutes as erratic, the reason roles haven't been defined and, ultimately, one of the causes of losing 11 of the past 12 games.

"Our minutes fluctuate all over the place, but it's out of our hands," fifth-year swingman Rodney Carney said. "We can't really show any emotion about it, but it's definitely tough.

"With most teams, there is a set rotation. You know you're going to come in at the six-minute mark or some other time or that you're going to sub in for this guy. Here, none of that is determined. It's not official when you're going to play or how long you're going to play."

The Warriors have eight bench players who have been healthy enough to play at least half of the team's games. All except Reggie Williams have played double-digit minutes one game and logged zero minutes the next. All eight have seen their playing time decrease by at least 16 minutes from one game to the next.

"It's not easy. Probably the hardest thing in basketball is a lack of consistency," 10th-year forward Vladimir Radmanovic said. "We don't know when we're going to play or for how long.

"At the same time, coach is learning. It's his first year, and he's trying to figure out things. He has coached in different places, but not in the NBA. He's trying to get his rotation of who is going to play and how long they're going to play."

Smart has coached in the NBA. He has 21 years of pro basketball experience, including a 40-game stint as Cleveland's head man in 2003 and basically doing that job in Golden State the past two seasons.

His substitution patterns make that hard for the reserves to believe, but his explanation is multifaceted and sound.

Smart reminds that the Warriors were without Lou Amundson and Ekpe Udoh, two forwards expected to be a large part of the rotation, until last week. The coach also says, quite simply, that none of the reserves have played well enough to earn consistent minutes or a solidified role and that the players should be ready to contribute regardless of when they're called.

"I don't have a first option off the bench right now," said Smart, whose contract is not guaranteed next season. "I just have a bunch of players, and you see what you have and who is going to fit in any given game. No one has solidified themselves as the first guy.

"I base a lot of it on practice, because no one has done enough in a game right now."

Jeff Adrien, who was cut Friday, had 12 points and eight rebounds in 31 minutes against Memphis but played only six minutes the next night. Dan Gadzuric and Brandan Wright have both seen their minutes trimmed drastically after eight-point games in which they contributed good rebounding numbers.

"That's why it's so tough to know what is expected," Carney said.

Bell and Radmanovic each had his best game against the Lakers. Bell scored four points and dished out three assists. Radmanovic went for nine points and four rebounds. Neither played the following game.

"A lot of people don't recognize how difficult it is to play so inconsistently and then be asked to go out there and produce," Bell said. "There are only a few guys in the world who can do that, but I don't know how they do it. You can work out all you want, stay ready and know the game, but there is no substitute for getting in a game and playing, because it's a different pace, a different adrenaline."

Smart, who was the players' sounding board as a seven-year assistant for the Warriors, has repeatedly said today's players are too coddled. When he talks about set rotations and consistent minutes, he often portrays an image older than his 46 years.

"Today's ballplayers have lots of ways to cop out," he said. "When I played, we were ready to play at any time. Any time.

"I'd like them to just take the ball and play whenever I call them."

Bell chuckled at that idea.

"I guess we could all just go pick up games in between games so we would have the chance to get up and down the court," he said. "It's difficult, because we can't really practice hard since our starters play so many minutes. It's just one of the things we're going to have to deal with, but I don't know the answers.

"You just have to ride it out and see how things go after the season. If it's not here, maybe it'll be with another team."

He, like the rest of his teammates, had stopped laughing by then.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z17t8flRWq
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:00 am
The team has been its usual bad self and I for one would trade almost everyone to try and get something good from a new group. Just the same old crap

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles