Would You Give up Barnes for Josh Smith?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm
I like Harrison Barnes and his potential, but I love what Josh Smith would bring to this team. He's a guy that doesn't need the ball to be effective. He's going to do it on the boards and with defense. He's never been a prolific scorer, but this team doesn't need anymore scoring, especially when Bogut returns to full time duties.

Send Harrison Barnes, Andris Biedrins and a future 2nd round pick for Josh Smith.

The Hawks don't have many SF options and if Smith leaves them for free agency this Summer, they won't have one on the roster since Korver is also an unrestricted free agent. In return, they get a nice young SF that was a lottery pick in the last draft. I honestly don't know what Barnes potential will be. He could be the next Rudy Gay or could end up as Marvin Williams. He's shown that he could be either player. Thats a big question mark to have with a playoff caliber team. Smith leaves no questions about what he'll provide for this team. He could easily be a 15 and 9 guy on this team. Worst case scenario is that Smith leaves anyways and the Warriors get $13M in cap relief or at least have the ability to sign-and-trade him to get another player back.

Line up:

PG Stephen Curry - Jarrett Jack
SG Klay Thompson - Charles Jenkins - Kent Bazemore
SF Josh Smith - Draymond Green - Richard Jefferson
PF David Lee - Carl Landry
C Andrew Bogut - Festus Ezeli - Jeremy Tyler

Thats a team I would feel comfortable going into next season since they don't have cap room or a draft pick.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm
No.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:33 am
Nope. As I see it Josh is a PF. I don't like him as a PF that much, cause he's not the best of shooters. And his perimeter D is not close to his inside D.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 am
JSmith is a PF now and not a SF. Barnes looks far more of a better premiter type player than JSmith, while also having a post game already, though not shown so much that often. I've always liked JSmith as well.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 am
Josh Smith has played SF in the past, but it comes with a huge list of cons with only minimal pros.

PROS:

+ Defensively, Smith can physically dominate any SF in the game, from Durant to LeBron. If Smith can't overpower his assignment with his 6'9" frame, he can certainly use his quickness and explosiveness to stay on top of them. A perennial blocked shots leader, Smith is average on the ball but has a nose for weak side swats better than anyone in the game (including Ibaka and Howard)... Although his blocks decrease when he plays the wing.

+ A skilled player by trade, Smith is a viable point forward option. He has above average handles for his size, but his first step is truly what gives him an edge with the ball... Not to mention, Smith has excellent court vision and can crack off 7 to 10 assists multiple times a year.

CONS:

- Smith failed as a 3 because he has absolutely no perimeter shooting to speak of and opponents learned that backing off him is extremely effective due to the fact that he has no hesitation about launching the ball when open. Josh Smith is a career 28% three point shooter, yet he takes nearly 2 per night. Even after being moved to PF, his true shooting percentage is at a career-low .479, due to his psychotic 3-point shooting, abysmal free throw percentage, and overall poor range inside the arc.

- Putting Smith on the perimeter negates his rebounding. As a PF, Smith fluctuates between 9-10.5 boards a night. At the 3, he grabs less than 7. Ditto for his steals: against bigger players, he's good for 1.5-2, but on skilled forwards he swipes less than 1 per game.

- Smith's fouls and turnovers per minute both increased early in his career at the 3. At the 4, they've stabilized.

Overall, I'm with the peanut gallery. No to the deal because Barnes, in purely a SF sense, is a better player.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am
No Way.....not at all....hell no....and in best Dikembe Mutombo fashion: [-X
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am
No, as stated above he doesn't fit in as a SF very well, and he's an expiring contract who is going to want a max deal in the offseason.

Return to Trades