WELCOME BACK, TROY MURPHY (?)

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:02 pm
Just read that we got Troy back from the Nets for Gadzuric and B Wright and we get a 2nd rd pick. I always liked his work ethic and shooting touch, but isn't he basically the same player we just blew a ton of money on last summer? I know they are saying they'll probably let him expire and move on, so I guess good for them. B Wright was never gonna pan out here and may never anywhere.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm
I read that too. Also read we were going to buy out his contract. So he may not play for us at all.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I read that too. Also read we were going to buy out his contract. So he may not play for us at all.

Yeah, I didn't understand that. Did they mean after the season? What's the advantage of buying him out now? Here's the article:
Report: Warriors acquire Troy Murphy from New Jersey for Brandan Wright, Dan Gadzuric
Oakland Tribune staff and wire report

Posted: 02/23/2011 09:17:02 AM PST
Updated: 02/23/2011 09:34:26 AM PST

The Warriors will deal seldom-used Brandan Wright and Dan Gadzuric to the New Jersey Nets for ex-Golden State No. 1 draft pick Troy Murphy, multiple media outlets reported Wednesday morning.

Golden State is expected to receive a second-round draft pick from New Jersey in the trade, which hasn't been announced yet. The Warriors would then likely buy out Murphy's contract, making him a free agent.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 pm
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I read that too. Also read we were going to buy out his contract. So he may not play for us at all.

Yeah, I didn't understand that. Did they mean after the season? What's the advantage of buying him out now? Here's the article:
Report: Warriors acquire Troy Murphy from New Jersey for Brandan Wright, Dan Gadzuric

The Warriors will deal seldom-used Brandan Wright and Dan Gadzuric to the New Jersey Nets for ex-Golden State No. 1 draft pick Troy Murphy, multiple media outlets reported Wednesday morning.

Golden State is expected to receive a second-round draft pick from New Jersey in the trade, which hasn't been announced yet. The Warriors would then likely buy out Murphy's contract, making him a free agent.

Basically if they buy him out this year, they pay him less money then keeping him all year. Saves money, that is all. So basically we traded Dan and B. Wright for Money and second round draft pick.

But there is also the possibility that they talk to Murphy and he doesn't want a buy out. I am sure that it will depend on what the player wants, because he has to agree to buyout.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:

Basically if they buy him out this year, they pay him less money then keeping him all year. Saves money, that is all. So basically we traded Dan and B. Wright for Money and second round draft pick.

But there is also the possibility that they talk to Murphy and he doesn't want a buy out. I am sure that it will depend on what the player wants, because he has to agree to buyout.

ah so. So if he thinks he can get picked up by someone else immediately even a contender he's free to bolt and if not he can saddle us with his salary till end of season. I think he could help us, he may be a better David Lee than David Lee is!!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 am
Murphy will be bought out if the team can't trade him before the deadline. I hope the team can at least trade him and get something for him, but either way it was a salary dump

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 am
migya wrote:Murphy will be bought out if the team can't trade him before the deadline. I hope the team can at least trade him and get something for him, but either way it was a salary dump

Again, good riddance to B Wright, Gadzuric seems a good character guy but tough to keep him around just on that basis on a team with a spotty bench at best. Would like to see them get something for this year other than a little savings or play him till end of year and give him a chance to audition for free agency. I may well be wrong, but I fell like Murph has something to offer. May just be Notre Dame basketball bias, I always pull for the Notre Dame guys from David Rivers to Elmer Bennett to LaPhonso Ellis to Harangody.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:40 pm
I hope we don't even see him in a new Warriors uniform..
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Return to Trades