Plan A Trades

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am
The only way this team can significantly improve is to dump the players with a big pay day. These players are taking up cap space while not making this a playoff team. Here is my 2-3 year plan to build a championship quality roster.

1) Send David Lee to the Hawks for Josh Smith straight up.

The Hawks will have a line up of Teague, Johnson, Williams, Lee and Horford so they don't lose much but gain another offensive option to go with Joe Johnson. Josh Smith adds rebounding and defense, which are two things the Warriors desperately need.

2) Send Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Andris Biedrins and a conditional first rounder to the Magic for Dwight Howard and Chris Duhon. Yes, this may only be a rental of Howard, but if they can get him to stay, it would be huge. If they can sell him the idea of the Warriors moving to San Francisco in a few years and putting together a winning team, he may just re-sign with the Warriors. Josh Smith is a guy he wanted the Magic to get, so having him on the team could really help Howard's decision to re-sign. Yes, the Warriors are giving up a lot, but a chance to get Howard is huge. The worst that can happen is Howard doesn't re-sign and the Warrirors get a $19M expiring contract which would put the Warriors nearly $30M under the cap. Another scenario is for Howard to not re-sign but give them another year by not opting out of his contract.

3) At the end of the season, sign Deron Williams. He'll more than likely opt out of his last year in New Jersey to goto a winner. He's not a guy that worries about playing in a big market, but much rather play for a winning team. The Warriors, even if Howard re-signs, will still have about $15M in cap space to offer DWill a nice contract. They can then re-sign their own guys like Kwame Brown, Dominic McGuire and Nate Robinson. If Dwight Howard sees the Warriors going after a guy like DWill, it may persuade him to at least, opt in on his final year. Imagine a 2012/13 team of..

PG Deron Williams - Chris Duhon - Nate Robinson
SG Klay Thompson - Brandon Rush
SF Josh Smith - Dorell Wright - Chris Wright
PF Ekpe Udoh - Dominic McGuire
C Dwight Howard - Kwame Brown - Jeremy Tyler

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 pm
its a probably a little unrealistic, but a good idea, that would be a great team to watch
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 pm
The first problem I see there is at the very beginning. I can't see Atlanta trading Smith for Lee straight up. I mean, would you?

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 pm
I agree, Josh Smith is the more rounded player and fits in better with the Hawks.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:10 am
Not sure what trade value Lee has with that contract. Kawakami was pounding the table to amnesty him a month ago. I'm all for taking a risk to rent Howard and try and get him to stay. The big risk with that is that if you completely gut your roster to get him, he's not going to want to stick around. Hopefully the cap space AShea mentions may help with that, but still.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 pm
Found out this the other day.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1033 ... son/page/6

Seems logical. Any thoughts?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm
hobbes wrote:Not sure what trade value Lee has with that contract. Kawakami was pounding the table to amnesty him a month ago. I'm all for taking a risk to rent Howard and try and get him to stay. The big risk with that is that if you completely gut your roster to get him, he's not going to want to stick around. Hopefully the cap space AShea mentions may help with that, but still.

This would leave us in pretty bad shape for next year. Oneal and Allen are expiring contracts. We would have a super young team again and some cap. Means we would be bad for 2 or 3 more years...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Return to Trades