"The Best Music You've Never Heard" thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Is music (in general) going downhill?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:30 am

yay!
2
40%
nay!
2
40%
staying pretty neutral
1
20%
 
Total votes : 5

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:48 am
Is music dying? pop music has been going down hill since the seventies... and it seems like more and more people are trying to strike it rich being artist despite a serious lack of talent and training.

or maybe I have it twisted? what good stuff have you heard that others should know about?

whatever music isn't on the radio (or god forbid mTV) that you think others should hear, post here.

Rules:
1. hip/hop, rock, oldies, whatever... just not pop stuff
2. try to limit the list to just the best stuff, not everything you've ever listened too that isn't on the radio. maybe limit to like your top 10 for each genre?
3. if you only like one or two songs (and the rest of the album sucks), make sure you mention that!
4. youtube links appreciated :)
5. no pimping your friends demo tapes! Try to keep it to artists with an actual label (or at least a CD you can buy in stores).
6. bold your artists please! with the absolute best one (of each genre) underlined as well!

Hip Hop for yours truely:

- people under the stairs - lyrics are kinda dumb and shallow, but every beat is amazing, and the flow of the two rappers is awesome
- Black Star (mos def and Kweli)
- Hieroglyphics (from Oakland!) - the album with "fantasy island" first four or five tracks are great!
- Jurassic 5 - Canto de Ossanha a remixed Baden powell song is awesome. quality control album is the better than their new shiit
- OLD Common - before he got on the radio, in the nineties... like water for chocolate and can I borrow a dollar albums
- RJD2 - ghostwriter!, 1976, smoke and mirrors
- The Pharcyde - labcabincalifornia album was great. every other album is complete crap, don't touch it.

Cool "Drop" video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwv9Loj84Y&feature=related[/youtube]

Brazilian (mainly bosa nova stuff)

- Baden Powell - samba triste, O astronauta,
- Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Ellis Regina

Jazz

- Erroll Garner
- James Booker

I'll add more later
Last edited by first off on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:08 am
John legend
Everybody Knows
Quickly
Cross the Line
No Other Love
Take Me Away

Brandy ("Human" album")
Piano Man
Camouflage
Long Distance

Ne-Yo
Fade Into the Backround
So You Can Cry
Lie to Me

The Dream
Livin A Lie [(feat. Rihanna) not to be confused with "Live Ya Life"]
Purple Kisses
Playing In Her Hair

the only time i listen to the radio is when im in other peoples' cars... but im almost positive that none of these songs
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:24 am
8th ave wrote:John legend
Everybody Knows
Quickly
Cross the Line
No Other Love
Take Me Away

Brandy ("Human" album")
Piano Man
Camouflage
Long Distance

Ne-Yo
Fade Into the Backround
So You Can Cry
Lie to Me

The Dream
Livin A Lie [(feat. Rihanna) not to be confused with "Live Ya Life"]
Purple Kisses
Playing In Her Hair

the only time i listen to the radio is when im in other peoples' cars... but im almost positive that none of these songs



you haven't heard Ne-Yo, John Legend, or Brandy on the radio? I'm talking about artist that don't whore themselves out to Mtv or clear channel radio stations!

maybe those are good, but that's not what this thread is for!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sucka Free City
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:04 am
www.cdbaby.com (I have two cd's for sale on this site)

www.pandora.com

both good sources to check out new music you've never heard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:40 pm
music aint dying... it never has and never will... music evolves, just like everything else in popular culture.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:01 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:music aint dying... it never has and never will... music evolves, just like everything else in popular culture.


bump




people under the stairs - san francisco knights


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbUCjmMn8uo[/youtube]
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:33 pm
first off wrote:
8th ave wrote:John legend
Everybody Knows
Quickly
Cross the Line
No Other Love
Take Me Away

Brandy ("Human" album")
Piano Man
Camouflage
Long Distance

Ne-Yo
Fade Into the Backround
So You Can Cry
Lie to Me

The Dream
Livin A Lie [(feat. Rihanna) not to be confused with "Live Ya Life"]
Purple Kisses
Playing In Her Hair

the only time i listen to the radio is when im in other peoples' cars... but im almost positive that none of these songs



you haven't heard Ne-Yo, John Legend, or Brandy on the radio? I'm talking about artist that don't whore themselves out to Mtv or clear channel radio stations!

maybe those are good, but that's not what this thread is for!


okay... well i thought you were talkin about songs... not artists... but whatever... i will stay away from your precious thread
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sucka Free City
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 pm
Raul Midon is an extremely talented new artist....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTv24sSNXHc[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 am
Vox Tempus
Boards of Canada
Empty Tremor
State Radio
Shpongle


These are all AWESOME bands of various genres and I would be surprised if many people here have heard of any of them.

As for the poll . . . no way. Music is DEFINITELY not dying. It is changing, but not dying. If you want me to go into more detail, I will do my best. I'd do it here and now but I gotta pee :oops:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:23 am
for the metal heads (if there's any out there lol)

Evile(traditional thrash-seriously kick ass)
Mastodon(new album out early 09)
5 Finger Death Punch(nice slab of Groove Metal)
Yakuza(awesome prog)
Opeth(still the kings of Melodic Death Metal)


fk i could go on and on in this thread. I'll do some popular OZ hard rock bands you guys may haven't of heard next
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:13 pm
evidence for music dying.

hip hop is now on the brink of death... I give you, gucci bandana

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbwVlRWqWQ[/youtube]

the word "gucci" is used more than 100 times in less than 3 and a half minutes.

80's was the age of excess, 90's was grunge, 00's will be known as the age of instant fame. from youtube, to reality show spin offs, of spin offs, of white trash versions of spin offs on VH1, to stupid hip hop like this **** that takes zero energy to make. Music is losing it's soul to people who just want to get paid for doing as little work as possible.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:53 pm
I think hip-hop is dying for certain generations, but the new gen... it's just getting started. A new style of hip-hop has rised, many hate it, many love it. Really depends who the person is.

I mean, I HATE today's mainstream hip-hop with some exceptions. Very few songs out there I could listen to.

It's like my friend told me, hip-hop isn't dead, it's just moved underground!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6nV_g0u1Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxLzrXurJI[/youtube]
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:00 pm
Not a fan of hip-hop at all. Today's hip hop (at least that on the radio) is not even listenable. Back in my high school days I loved PE and some other artists were fun to listen to from time to time.

Definately more of a classic rock type of guy. But having lived in Seattle and got the privelidge to see Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains all in local small clubs, I am very partial to the grunge scene. What a time that was!!! Amazing and influential music coming out of one area.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 am
bada wrote:Not a fan of hip-hop at all. Today's hip hop (at least that on the radio) is not even listenable. Back in my high school days I loved PE and some other artists were fun to listen to from time to time.

Definately more of a classic rock type of guy. But having lived in Seattle and got the privelidge to see Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains all in local small clubs, I am very partial to the grunge scene. What a time that was!!! Amazing and influential music coming out of one area.


Did you smell some of that teen spirit back in the day? :wink:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron